Have you ever received advice that...let's just say they could have kept it to themselves? Whether it was advice about your career, finances, business, marriage, parenting, relationship or lack thereof, you realize the true power of silence after bad advice. AM I RIGHT?
Valentine's Day was yesterday and it's something about your love life that seemingly creates an open space fore everyone to comment on. Now, listen to me. I am in NO WAY saying:
- All advice is bad- I have a YouTube Channel. I am a creator of advice.
- All advice to singles is bad- I have been a receiver of great singles advice over the years
- If you are single, you should not receive advice from your close family/friends- This is not wise nor does God want you to live close minded.
Now that you all don't think I am a bitter single woman writing this post...on to the list! This list is in no particular order but some definitely take the number 1 spot in my mind.
- "Jesus is your Valentine" Really. I know Jesus loves me and I am in love with Him but please stop saying this. It's weird and annoying.
- "Just use this as a time to celebrate yourself." I do this every year...on my birthday.
- "God is just waiting to give you someone really special." So are you telling me the person you are with isn't special...orrrr?
- "God isn't saying no, He's saying not right now" I am pretty familiar with how God works. He made Abraham and Sarah wait 20+ years and I don't need you to remind me how joyful waiting can be.
- "You just need to focus more on God" Thank you so much, I didn't know that He was counting the times I spent with Him before he sent me my spouse
- "Are you praying and asking God for a spouse?" I just mention it during my quiet time every day...no big deal.
- "Singleness is a gift" Where can I return it at Target, please?
- "You should really take this time to focus on your businesses and ministry" Well at the rate of greatness that I am already at, I will be a CEO by the end of it all
- "But you're so pretty, why are you single?" Because the guys around me are little ugly boys, thanks.
- "Why don't you try online dating?" So since I have so much time on my hands to focus on building my business, I must need to schedule time to swipe through pictures of random men online, right?
And if you have ever asked or said any of the above to your single friends, it's okay. I have done my share of bad advice too. If you find yourself not knowing what to say to your single friends, just simply say nothing. Singleness is not a disease and most of the time, we are actually fine. We are actually happy and maybe even happier than you think.
I also have to admit that there is God-given truth hidden in each of these sayings but If anything, I hope these have made you laugh. Though I don't intend to stay single that much longer, there is true power in my single season and yours too! I am going to use it unashamedly to get to know myself and the people around me in a deeper way. In 2018 where people are dying everyday, He needs us to be alive in sharing His love in and out of season. Let our generation be a dedicated and passionate people because we are needed. We've got purpose to live out guys, so let's do it!
I'm sure you could add more to this list so let me know what you would say below!